If you are ordering your coffee pre-ground, choose “Foil Filter”
If you order whole bean and grind yourself, you’ll want to grind to just slightly coarser than medium
Everybody agrees that a Keurig* machine is convenient for brewing a single cup of coffee. It’s quick, and some would say ideal for a business environment. Carrabassett Coffee is not available in pre-made, disposable K Cups, but as long as your coffee is ground correctly (choose foil filter if we are grinding for you), refilling a pod only takes seconds.
Using a Keurig Machine is pretty straightforward, but here are a few tips to ensure your resulting cup of coffee is as enjoyable as possible.
- Do not overfill your pod. As tempting as it may be to stuff your pods with extra grinds, in an effort to make a stronger cup, this will only serve to block up your machine, as the water will not be able to push through the extra grinds. Your pod should have an interior line- fill to here and don’t add extra. (If you’re a ‘single-cup here and there throughout the day’ kind of person, but you prefer your coffee strong, we’d recommend you try a pour over cone. It yields a rich flavorful cup and has a greater range of options for customization than you can achieve with a Keurig machine. Read more here.)
- Ensure your coffee is ground correctly. While you can put coffee ground for a drip machine through a Keurig, just slightly coarser works a little bit better. Too fine a grind will lead to sediment in your coffee cup, but too coarse will lead to the water rushing through the coffee too quickly and not extracting as much flavor. Right in the middle is the sweet spot. If we are grinding for you, choose 'foil filter.'
- Use the smallest cup setting on your machine. Most Keurig machines have the option to make a 6, 8, or 10 oz cup of coffee. The amount of grinds you are using do not increase with a larger cup size- it simply means you are using more water, which results in a weaker cup. For optimum flavor, brew a 6 oz cup, and if you’d like more, refill your pod with fresh grinds and make another.
- Use fresh Carrabassett Coffee. Any of our coffees can be used in a Keurig machine, whether you prefer dark roasts, organics, or flavored coffee! We’ll cover coffee storage more in-depth in a future article, but keep your grinds in an airtight container, in a dark cupboard or the freezer, to maintain the strongest flavor.
How to Brew Coffee Using a Keurig Machine
- Fill water receptacle on the machine
- Fill your reusable pod to the interior line and close the lid
- Place pod into machine
- Close the machine lid
- Place your coffee mug
- Press appropriate button to brew a 6 oz cup of coffee. (You may choose to brew a larger cup, but remember that the flavor may not be as strong.)
- Wait for coffee to fill your cup and enjoy!
* Pesky legal notice... Carrabassett Coffee is not associated / affiliated with Keurig. Keurig and K-cup are trademarks of Keurig and Green Mountain.